Saturday, July 7, 2012

Danish 4th of July!

The 4th of July just isn't quite the same when you're in Denmark, but I did the best I could to re-create a "real" 4th of July for my danish friends and a couple other Americans! :) Here are a few of the pictures from the party!

Waiting for the guests to arrive so I thought I should take some pics!

I may have gone a little overboard???
Since we're in Denmark you can never count on the weather and I knew as soon as I planned to have everything outside there would be freezing cold rain/winds/ awful weather (dårligt vejr) so I set up everything inside with the hope that we could go outside if the weather cooperated... I was THRILLED when the sky was clear blue and the weather was PERFECT! We really couldn't have planned it any better. So once the guys lit the grills (yes 2 because we're in Denmark and they apparently only have kiddie-sized grills here) we took the snacks downstairs along with a football, softball and gloves and a Frisbee to play while we waited for the food to be ready. It was such a fun time to just hang out and enjoy the company of friends! :)



Then came the FOOD!! So for the appetizers we had some standards like chips and veggies with dip, but then I also added fruit skewers that looked like an American flag, ants on a log (since apparently this is something that Danes don't ever do!) and of course popcorn! :)
Jesper was NOT a fan of the Ants on a Log! lol!!


For the main course we had hamburgers with corn on the cob and cole slaw!
Then for dessert we went WAY overboard! lol! We first had S'mores outside because my neighbors have this really cool torch thing that makes perfect toasted marshmallows (not the intended use, but hey it works really well!)


I know it looks like its the middle of the afternoon, but really it was probably 9pm at this point. So we decided to head back upstairs since it was starting to get a little chilly and there was CAKE upstairs! :) I had made the "traditional" cake with whipped cream, strawberries and blueberries as well as strawberries dipped in white chocolate and then dipped in blue sugar. I also had coffee and tea for everyone as well as chocolate chip cookies (but no one really ate those because everyone was full/ on a sugar high from the cake and strawberries!)



So that was our 4th of July celebration overseas! :) I had such a good time introducing my new friends to a lot of the things that remind me so much of home! The only things missing were my family and friends from home and the fireworks (but apparently its illegal to shoot fireworks off on a "random" Wednesday night!)
What do you think? Did I miss any other big traditions? How did everyone back home celebrate this year?

XOXO,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment