Friday, August 10, 2012

Olympics and Ravellenic Games!

First of all... I LOVE the Olympics! :) I think there's something incredible about this event where all of the best athletes from around the world come together and compete- not just to win, but sometimes just for the pride of being an "Olympic athlete" I have been obsessed with the Olympics since I was a kid and the women's gymnastics team won the gold in Atlanta in 1996, and every 4th summer I will sit and cheer at the top of my lungs even though I know logically it makes no difference and that they can't hear me- but somehow me screaming "SWIM FASTER- GO GO GO!" might help Michael Phelps win that gold medal... lol! :)

This year has been a very different Olympic experience for me. First of all not being surrounded by the American new coverage means that I don't get all of the back stories and interviews with the American athletes. But since I'm watching the BBC coverage online I am getting the British spin on everything which is kind of funny since APPARENTLY not everyone in the world loves that Team USA wins a LOT... its a little bit hard to swallow when I hear the commentators say something snarky about our guys- they were not so kind of Michael Phelps after his first race didn't go so great. But on the flip side its also been fun to learn about Team GB and all of the wonderful athletes on their team as well. (I think Jessica Ennis has been my favorite athlete of the summer! Along with her counterpart Katarina Johnson-Thompson who just always seemed to be having the time of her life during the competition) I still scream and cheer for Team USA especially in gymnastics and the pool, but its also been interesting to see the other sports that I don't normally pay attention to (Fencing, Canoe Slalom, the Marathon, Cycling, Rowing, Sailing... so many more!) But I have to say gymnastics is still my favorite sport of them all and the girls of team USA did NOT disappoint! :)

In addition to watching the real athletes compete, I've taken part (for a 2nd time) in something (now) called the Ravellenic Games (formerly Ravelympics... but the USOC had an issue with that...) It may not seems like fun for everyone, but I have a blast setting a goal of which projects I want to do in the span of the Olympics (you can't cast on until the Opening ceremonies have started and you must "cross the finish line" by the time the flame is extinguished) So far I've completed 2 of my 3 projects.

First I made a Mug Sweater this was entered in the "Single Skein Sprint", the "Cable Steeplechase" and the "Homestuff Hammer throw"

My second project was a pair of slippers that competed in "Sock Put" and "Felted Freestyle"

And finally I'm working on a shawl that is nearly done (which is good considering I only have a couple days left!) It will compete in "Shawl Sailing" and "Synchronized Stash Busting".

So that's what's going on here- Olympics and Ravellenics!
GO TEAM USA!!!
XOXO
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment