Monday, November 4, 2013

Happy Halloween from Denmark!

This past weekend, Klaus and I hosted our 2nd Halloween party in Denmark!! I LOVE decorating the apartment for any occasion, but especially for Halloween! :) I would love to say that I'm super creative and came up with all of these decorations on my own, but really Pinterest was my inspiration for most of it. :) I'll post links to the original pins that I used to come up with my ideas, or note when they were actually my own creations! I'm really proud of how it turned out and thought I would share the details on here :)
So, the spider web wall was super easy to make, I just used black curling ribbon and tape. I came up with the idea last year and it was a big hit, so I did it again this year but on a smaller wall. :) And our cute furry spiders were a purchase at Tivoli last year! :)
The 4 signs were inspired by this post, but I put my own spin on it and cut them out of cardboard to the layered effect. They read "Keep Calm and Scary On", "I'm Here for the Boo's", "If the broom fits, ride it" and "Trick-or-Treat"

This guy was a TOTAL copy from this post, but I thought he was sooo cute! It was nice to have a non-sugary snack option too. :)

The "Boo Mix" was also a pinterest idea found here, but I modified it a bit. I changed out the "monster scabs" for "zombie boogers" because I couldn't find chex in Denmark and used raisins instead of chocolate chips for the "witches warts" I also opted to not mix them up so it was easy for people to take what they'd like!

The severed fingers turned out WAY creepier than I had anticipated, but apparently they were a hit because they were the first thing to be finished off! I found the idea here.

The spider web pizzas were originally intended for the kids since I was planning to serve chili for the adults and I wasn't sure the little ones would like that too much. I had seen several ideas for Halloween pizzas, but this one seemed the easiest. You just take string cheese and lay out the spider web and then cut up an olive to make the spider. Super easy and a great idea from here.
 
The punch bowl with the floating hand was something I had tried last year as well, it came from this site. They say to cut off the glove, but we found that using a thin clear plastic glove and leaving it on worked best for us. When we put it in the softevand the ice actually shattered within the glove, but it still looked ok.

 The witch was just drawn on cardboard and cut out, it was something I had gotten inspiration from multiple sites, but the design of this one was my own.

The 4 little faces were inspired by this site. I decided to make a bat instead of a spider because Klaus thought my spider legs were cat whiskers... :-/
 This was again something we had done last year that got great results, so this year I adapted it a bit and made different silhouettes, as well as adding colored lights behind the spooky house and graveyard. This site has a good tutorial on the general idea and then I just google image searched for things I wanted to make and drew them on cardboard and cut them out.
This was originally inspired by a decoration my dad had made for our front yard of a witch crashing into a tree. (I'm sure he found the idea somewhere, but I don't know where so I'll just assume it was his own creative genius) Then when Klaus and I were in Tivoli we saw the same concept except she had crashed into the door and I said "I could totally make that!" (they wanted like 250 kroner for it!!)

The spiders on the door were my own idea- I couldn't figure out how to get the plastic to stick to the door (tape wasn't working) so instead I super glued some black sewing thread to them and taped that along the top of the door.
 
The bats are probably my favorite decoration and SO easy! Here is where I got the inspiration- she has a fancy vinyl cutter that she used to cut out the bats... I just traced them onto black cardboard and cut them out with an exacto knife.
 
The window stickers and mini jack'o'lantern were things I brought with me from the states. :)
 
These little guys are another one of my favorites, probably because they were my OWN idea! :) I just took some of the flower pots we have around the apartment and gave them faces and filled them with candy! :) I think the bat and Frankenstein are my favorites! :)


These peanut butter eyeballs were something I thought looked really cool and I was really excited about, but I forgot that danes aren't particularly fond of peanut butter, so we have a few of these left over. They're just peanut butter mixed with powdered sugar and covered in white chocolate with a chocolate chip for a pupil and red food dye painted on to make them bloodshot. Here's where the idea came from.

The ghost in the corner is just a scarp piece of fabric I had draped over a balloon and hung from the ceiling- I think its cool that he was backlit by our normal lamps! The hanging decorations are a mix of things I brought from the states and things we found here in Denmark. :)
 
The ghost and jack'o'lantern wine bottles were from this post. And the luminaries are from here.
 
We had 12 adults and 3 kiddos and a puppy in our apartment for the party, and yes it was a bit crowded, but I had soooo much fun and was really glad everyone came! :) It was fun to have people from several different areas of my Danish life in the same room and everyone seemed to be having a good time too! :)
A couple of witches and a mad scientist




Dorothy, Scarecrow and Toto!
 
Toto and a cat!

And one more with Toto in his basket!
What about you? Did you make any Halloween decorations this year? I'd love to get more ideas if you have them to share!
 
Happy Halloween everyone!
XOXO,
Joy

1 comment: