Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Midterm Exam, Christmas Choir and Voting in Denmark!

I can't believe I'm already at the midterm point of my module 2 dansk class! We had a written and spoken "exam" today. Really it was a practice test for the final, but mostly I think it was so the teachers would have a good reference point of how we are all individually doing so far. I had studied over the weekend and Klaus had helped me prepare as much as possible so I felt pretty confident going in today and I think I did pretty well (we get the results on Friday so keep your fingers crossed) For the written portion we had three parts. 1) Reading comprehension- we were given an article and a list of about 5 questions that we had to read and find the answers to. 2) Grammar- we were given a paragraph with blanks to fill in with the correct pronouns. 3)Essay- we were asked to write to a friend about a new job... this was by far the hardest section for me, partly because my mind went blank when I tried to think of vocabulary words I knew for different jobs... I haven't learned any of the terminology surrounding theatre, I don't know the words to describe a marketing job or a copy editor job... SOOOO I went with what I know and talked about getting a job at a coffee shop! lol! Three years at Starbucks is paying off again! :) Our spoken section consisted of being paired with a classmate and interviewing each other. We were given a sheet of paper with bullet points of a mans life "Food- oatmeal, vegetables everyday, red wine on weekends" etc (obviously all of this was in Danish not English...) We got to practice several times and then the teacher came around to each pair and listened to us interview each other.

Another exciting new development for me is that I have joined a Christmas Choir this year at the International Church in Copenhagen! :) We started a few weeks ago and meet on Saturday mornings for a couple hours and then we'll perform on December 8th- and its in English!!! :) We're singing some of my favorite carols like "Silent Night", "Away in a Manger" and "Little Drummer Boy" :) I'm having a great time and I really have enjoyed meeting new people! Its been a LONG time since I've been in a choir, but it makes me miss my HGBC friends! :)

Today ALSO happened to be election day in Denmark! It was the regional and municipality level elections- not national, but its been really interesting to talk about it with Klaus and read about it online. The biggest difference to me is that there are a LOT of different parties- like 10 for the municipal elections and probably 20 or so on the regional level! I won't be allowed to vote here for another few years, but it was interesting to observe how it works first hand. Klaus even took me with him when he went to vote. I didn't go in the voting booth, but I got to see how its organized and the GIANT ballots they give you (seriously its like an 8"x 48"!) I hope between now and the next time when I can vote, I will be able to figure out how the parties are organized and how to pick which candidate to vote for! ha!

Anyway, that's about all that's going on here- other than Tex being adorable! ;-) He's figured out how to jump ONTO the couch, but he hasn't figured out how to get down yet, nor has he realized that if he jumps up there when a human is NOT there- he's gonna get stuck!!
Please come get me down...?
And I'm also preparing to host Thanksgiving dinner for Klaus' parents and sister! :) Wish me luck!! ha! I'll be sure to post a recap of that as well :)

I hope everyone is doing well,
XOXO,
Joy

1 comment: