Sunday, May 27, 2012

Settling in and finding my way!

Since my last post things have calmed down quite a bit, and I've started to find my new routine around here. Its all starting to feel more real which is so great! :) Its a lot of change all at once, but I'm so happy about all of it and feel so incredibly lucky! On the mornings that I have class I ride with Klaus to the train station at about 7:30, which means I'm getting to Copenhagen by 8:15 so I have about 45 mins before my class starts. So far the weather has been perfect so I have really enjoyed having a little bit of a break before we start, it keeps me from feeling rushed or worried about being late to class which is actually very relaxing. I've been going to Konges Have (the King's Garden) and either walking around the grounds and enjoying the scenery or finding a bench and sitting down to go over my notes/ homework and sip on my coffee. :) The park reminds me a little bit of Central Park, but not nearly as big. There are so many pretty areas and its so well kept that its a really relaxing area to start my mornings. It really looks like something you would see in a movie!
So far class has been good, challenging but good. I can tell I'm improving at least a little bit which is encouraging. So far I can introduce myself and ask about where someone comes from/ what languages they speak. I can say the alphabet (which was actually WAY more difficult than I think it should have been!!!) I can also sort of count to 100- still working on it but I have the basic idea of what it SHOULD sound like! (again WAY too complicated- their numbers are based on a twenty system instead of 10's like in english so when you get to 50 its actually "2.5 times 20"... HUH?!?!?) The most challenging assignment I've had was to be able to re-tell a five part story in danish pretty much from memory (we could only write down a few key words to help). Poor Klaus had to listen to me talk about police detectives and their lunch break soooo many times!! But I was really proud that I could do it by the end of the night! :)

I'm really enjoying the social aspect of the class though! Its nice to be around people who are in a similar situation as I am, and they're all really nice! :) Friday after class a group of girls invited me to hang out with them. So we went to a pizza shop and got a couple pizzas to go (I got a salad without croutons!) and we headed to Ny Haven to sit by the harbor and enjoy the weather! It was so much fun! Ny Haven was PACKED!!! Which made for some good people watching and a lot of fun conversations and laughter. It was a really great way to spend the afternoon! :)
Ny Haven
Girls from : German, Israel, Romania, India, and Indonesia!
Tomorrow is a national holiday for Danes (They have a LOT of those this time of year)so Klaus and I both have a 3 day weekend! :) Its been so great to spend time with just the two of us in such a relaxed and NORMAL environment. Until now we've always had so much to do or see or people to visit every time we're together for a week or so that to be able to just sit on the couch and watch tv in the evenings or cook dinners together is such a special time for me! :) I am totally crazy about him!! :)

So that's been this week! :) I'm having a blast and am LOVING my new life over here! :)
Jeg vil blogge igen snart!
XOXO
Joy

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Joy. Nice pics, good job at long arming it and I'm very happy for you. Copenhagen looks beautiful. Keep posting on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Wow! Wow! What an exciting adventure. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete